Previous Page Front Page Diary Index Next Page

Map showing area covered.

North-East Diary

Roy Ripley &
Brian Pears
© Copyright Brian Pears 1994-2011


9th April 1941 to
9th/10th April 1941

Wednesday, 9th April 1941  D585

Northumberland.. A crater 20' diameter and 3' deep was found in the vicinity of Elsdon Burn Farm, Kirknewton, 5 miles NW of Wooler. It is believed to be that of a HE, probably dropped on the 7th. No casualties or damage reported.

Day 585. All times BST. Blackout ends: 05.49, begins: 20.27

Wednesday, 9th/Thursday, 10th April 1941  N585

Heavy attacks on docks, dockyard and industrial installations downstream from Newcastle to Tynemouth and South Shields, between 23.20 and 04.26. One hundred and sixteen enemy aircraft dropped 152 tonnes of HE and thousands of IBs. The attack was scattered, bombing reported from Newcastle, Tynemouth, North Shields, Wallsend, Whitley Bay, South Shields, Felling, Gateshead, Hebburn, Jarrow, Boldon, Sunderland, Willington Quay, Ryhope, Consett, Prudhoe, South Moor, Hull.

23.50.. Newcastle.. Byker.. An AA shell fell in Kendal Street, slight damage.

04.00.. Newcastle.. More than fifty German bombers dropped a large number of IBs over north and west of city, which started sixty-eight fires and caused widespread damage in Newcastle. Twenty-two of these fires were started in the west end alone, fifteen of then being in dwellings. To help fight the many fires burning in the city, 300 troops were called out, nineteen fire-fighters were injured during this period. Sixty-five homes were damaged, eleven of them considerably, and many others made unfit for use.

Among the many buildings damaged were, St Michael's RC Church on Westmorland Road, the roof was destroyed and the church hall damaged, the priests joined the fire fighters. Bell Terrace school rest and emergency feeding centre and Cambridge Street school were also affected. The Boy's Club in Maple Terrace was gutted and the senior section of Bell Terrace council school was extensively damaged. Large numbers of IBs fell on Vickers Armstrongs Scotswood, the fires were brought under control immediately and little damage done. Some other targets of military importance were also hit. A fire at the Regal cinema in Fenham was soon extinguished. A cat and dog shelter was damaged. About forty UXIBs some with explosive charges, and some bomb racks handed to police. Eleven people were injured and detained in hospital. This raid was purely incendiary, no HEs fell on the City.

01.00.. Northumberland.. Wallsend.. IBs on Neptune Shipyard, fire in canteen put out by 02.30. Civil Defence premises were among the buildings damaged at Wallsend.

Northumberland.. Tynemouth Borough.. Among the buildings hit was the Lifeboat Station near the Fish Quay and Preston Institute where the X-ray Department was demolished, and two patients and three male attendants were killed. A police box was destroyed, a first aid and wardens' post damaged, two members of the police reserve, a female ambulance driver and a naval rating lost their lives. An ambulance received a direct hit proceeding from Whitley Bay and trains in sidings at Monkseaton were set on fire. The death roll, thirty-three, included five children of under sixteen years of age. Fifteen people suffered serious injuries and eighty-six were slightly injured.

The fire-raising attempts on the north side of the river were a success, a mile long fire was started in a timber storage yard. Fire fighting units being called from Newburn, Gosforth and Blyth, the fire was not put out until the afternoon of the day following the raid. Large fires were also started in three shops within a space of 80 yards. Over 400 smaller fires were also started but quickly extinguished. The manager of the North Shields works of the Newcastle and Gateshead Gas Co, Mr C.J. Duncan was awarded the BEM, his daughter Miss L. Duncan was commended for her actions and the yard foreman Mr J Callaghan was awarded the GM for the parts they played in smothering an IB which fell on a gas holder.

A full report of the above raid is printed at the foot of this page.

Tyne AA guns were in action, firing 3,133 rounds.

Fanning out from the coast, the raiders then showered HEs and IBs on Willington Quay, Hebburn, Jarrow, Gateshead, Ryhope, Consett, Prudhoe Hall Colliery, Wallsend and Wylam.

Once again Miss Flagg's diary comes into its own, describing the raid on South Shields in great detail. Shortly before the siren sounded, enemy aircraft were heard, ground defences became very active and 2 HE bombs were dropped at Clyveden Rise, one of which wrecked two houses and damaged several others. Then came a shower of incendiaries, an estimated number of 6,000 falling in the Tyne Dock area, through the centre of the town and over the Mile End Road, River Drive and Wapping Street district. It soon became clear that a large scale attack was developing and directed mainly on the shipbuilding, ship repairing and timber yards on the riverside.

After this, a series of flares were dropped, illuminating the whole region. Major fires were started on the west side of Tyne Dock, Redhead's Yards, Middle Docks, Tyne Dock Engineering Company, Wardle's Timber Yard and Brigham and Cowan's Store Shed. The Queen's Theatre, the Railway Station tower and houses in Fawcett Street and Robertson Street were ablaze; houses in Westoe Road, Tyne Dock and east Jarrow also were involved. Owing to the nature of the many premises affected, the resources of the Fire Services were fully extended and a call for 'Mutual Aid' had to be made (this was a reciprocal system that enabled a 'service' to get help from other districts if immediate needs could not be met). Fire Brigades from Durham, Gateshead, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Sunderland arrived, each town sending their requisite complement of Rescue and First Aid Parties.

During the progress of this blitz by fire, a large number of HE bombs were dropped, causing great havoc at various points. The largest number of casualties were found in the Mile End Road area, including Empress St, Palatine St, Fort St, and William Terrace. Two large calibre bombs fell close together in this thickly populated part of town, completely shattering a whole block of houses, it was fortunate that no-one in the surface shelters, which were within 25' of the craters, was seriously injured. Bombs also fell on the railway line near Studley Bridge and Ellesmere Street, where passenger coaches were flung about like toys. On Harper Street and Pearson Street where one bomb fell and exploded 20' from a surface shelter, the base was moved 9" and it sustained a 9" crack in the dividing blast wall. No-one in this shelter was harmed.

Several bombs fell in Redhead's Yards, doing much structural damage; bombs also fell in Cayton and Armstrong's Timber Yard, the TIC Docks, Middle Docks and a Fire Station in Anderson Street, and on the Battery Field at Westoe. In King George Road, two houses were obliterated and a bomb also fell at the Deans. Prince Edward Road West was blocked by a large crater on the embankment below Dean Terrace. At the back of Police Headquarters, a bomb fell in Oliver Street. A water main burst, filling the crater and burying a motor car in mud.

One of the largest bombs dropped in this country to date, was found unexploded in Newton and Nicholson's premises, Templetown. It was a 1,800kg general purpose bomb, recognised as a 'Satan' and it had penetrated 45' made up of 20' straight drop and 25' jink. Another unexploded bomb was found in a garden in Dean Crescent; it had ripped off the outer walls of a house in its descent. Both of these bombs were dealt with by the Bomb Disposal Squad.

The estimated number of bombs dropped was 38, but this does not include many which fell in the river, the harbour and the sea near the pier. About 70 enemy planes took part in the raid. 50 people were rendered homeless or evacuated. Two Rest and Feeding Centres were opened and maintained until all were housed elsewhere. On the following morning a request for the help of fifty men was made under the Police Mutual Aid Scheme; two Mobile Canteens also came to supplement local arrangements for the feeding of personnel.

Water and gas mains, electric cables and sewers were damaged in various localities: telephone cables were also damaged, greatly hampering communications during the heaviest part of the raid. Casualties:- 25 killed, including 10 men, 13 women and 2 children / 11 seriously injured, including 10 men and 1 woman / 65 slightly injured, including 51 men, 11 women and 3 children.

South Shields.. Among those killed were three auxiliary firemen and among those injured were ten auxiliary firemen, two wardens and a policeman, toll in human life was also taken at the Mile End Road area where a family of four was wiped out, but their pet spaniel was rescued alive after 80 hours.

South Shields.. At the request of the Chief Constable, South Shields, one inspector, three sergeants and twenty-one constables were sent to South Shields under the Mutual Aid Scheme. Four soldiers were injured at Marsden Battery through a shell burst from their own gun. Three suffered from head injuries and one from abdominal injury.

South Shields.. After air raid on 9-10 April 1941 Fire Units from Sunderland were sent to South Shields. One Sunderland fireman (AFS) died of "Exposure, Toxaemia and Shock". 10th April 1941, at South Shields Docks.

23.30/03.00.. Co Durham.. Jarrow.. HEs fell on Station Street and Sheldon Street. Houses were destroyed and damaged and it suffered a death roll of twenty-four, seven members of one family being wiped out, nine people were seriously injured and nineteen slightly injured. A Roman Catholic Priest died from shock. A police constable was slightly injured by an IB. Five people were rescued alive from the debris at Willington Quay, but a fifteen year old boy died after rescue. Fires were started at the Petroleum Installation at Jarrow, Jarrow Tube Works and at the Mercantile Dry Dock but were quickly subdued. HEs fell on a colliery railway line leading to Jarrow Staithes, on a coal depot at Jarrow Railway Station and on the A.185 near to the Old Church, Jarrow, where the road was blocked and gas and water mains damaged.

01.45-03.40.. Sunderland.. Woodbine Street East - Steel's, Holmeside - Binns - Blackett's - Ethel Street - Brougham Street area. Two people were killed, nine seriously injured and nine slightly injured when two HE and many IBs fell in the above area. Binns in Fawcett Street was completely gutted and the Town Hall was set on fire. Part of the premises of the Sunderland Club Ltd, Fawcett Street were damaged by fire. Blackett's premises at High Street West/Union Street were damaged and a shoe warehouse completely gutted. At Messrs Steel, Holmside a stock room was gutted and a large room on the top floor was damaged. Altogether eight premises in Holmside and six in Crowtree Road were severely damaged by IBs.

Trapped in his home in Ethel Street, Hendon where five houses were demolished and over fifty made homeless, thirty-five year old James Scarfe fought his way out unaided and then returned to rescue his wife and a neighbour. IBs fell on to pit props stacked on the railway, starting a blaze near 300 wagons, many laden with ammunition. Railwaymen managed to remove 274 of them, thereby preventing an extremely destructive explosion. Robert Hume and John Steele were awarded the George Medal and four others, Messrs Angus, Ward, Brown and Calthorpe were awarded the British Empire Medal.

22.12.. Co Durham.. Castleside.. About 200 IBs were dropped near to Castleside All fell in open country without damage.

23.30/03.00.. Co Durham.. East Boldon/Hebburn/Monkton.. IBs and HEs fell on these areas. An IB fell on an AFS fire engine at Monkton and it was burned out.

03.10.. Co Durham.. IBs dropped in the Ryhope district. Two penetrated roofs of houses but were quickly under control. One man sustained slight injury. A large case of IBs fell in a field at Seaham Grange and penetrated the ground. A similar empty case was found at Ryhope.

04.05.. Co Durham.. 200 IBs dropped at Felling on waste ground and gardens.

04.15.. Co Durham.. Approximately thirty IBs fell on fields and waste ground between Scotswood Bridge and Axwell Park - dealt with by AFS.

04.20.. Co Durham.. Three IBs fell at Blaydon; no damage caused.

Co Durham.. Two IBs fell South Moor causing no damage.

03.55.. Hull.. Four IB clusters fell in the south-east and central sections of the city. Three schools, a library and a club were among the buildings damaged by fire. One person was seriously injured. Humber AA guns were in action.

During a reconnaissance flight over Newcastle a Junkers Ju 88A was shot down by Spitfires of 72 Squadron and crashed into the sea off Alnmouth at 19.40. The body of one of the crew was recovered from the sea at Amble, the other three are missing.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

These reports are printed almost as they were written, copied thus is to illustrate the complexity of the event in the language of the time.

Northumberland.. Tynemouth Borough.. Enemy Air Raid 9/10th April 1941 - A report to the Emergency Committee by the Chief Constable and ARP Controller, T. Blackburn, dated 17/4/41.

I have to inform you that at 23.25 on the 9th April, 1941, the public warning was sounded in this Borough. The 'Raiders Passed' signal was given at 04.50 on the 10th April, 1941. During the 5½ hours the warning was in operation enemy aircraft flew over the Borough at intervals, and there was heavy anti-aircraft gunfire during the whole period. The raid commenced with a shower of IB in the high part of the town, and a small number of HE were dropped.

Between 00.30 and 01.30 more IB and HE were dropped at intervals at the Timber Storage Yards and Docks at the riverside, and in the centre of the town, the raid ended with a further shower of IB and HE mainly on the Timber Yards and Docks.

So far as can be ascertained 35 HE, mainly of heavy calibre, fell and exploded, and thousands of IB were dropped. A large number of the latter failed to ignite and quite a good proportion of them were of the explosive type, one of which caused a fatality. With the exception of the bombs dropped at Maple Crescent, The Quadrant, Cartington Road and Biddlestone Crescent, all the HE dropped were of a very heavy calibre. The craters averaged 70' to 80' across and 25' deep. The blast effect from these bombs was tremendous and far reaching. The four bombs mentioned as exceptions to the very heavy ones were of a medium type, with craters about 25' across and 3'to 8' deep. The blast effect in these instances was very great having regard to the size of the craters. Of the heavy bombs above mentioned, five were of an exceptionally heavy type. The craters being in the vicinity of 120' across and 30' to 35' deep. Numerous reports of UXB were received but none were concerned with property. A thorough search was made as early as possible after the 'Raiders Passed' had been sounded, but none of the reports were confirmed.

CASUALTIES. In the course of the raid, 35 persons were killed, these consist of 17 adult males, 13 adult females, and 5 children under 16 years. Reports received up the present show that 101 persons were injured as follows:-

Seriously Injured1041
Slightly Injured62159

Of the persons killed there was one soldier, one Police Constable, one First Police Reserve (Ex Inspector), and one male and one female of the Whitley Bay First Aid Services. Of the persons seriously injured, there was one Police Constable, one Special Constable and five Civil Defence Personnel. Of the persons slightly injured, there were two Police Sergeants, two Police Constables, three Special Constables and thirteen Civil Defence Personnel.

DAMAGE. The following is a resume of the damage caused to buildings so far as can be ascertained at the present.

Totally demolished22
So badly damaged that demolition is necessary41
Seriously damaged but repairable99
Slightly damaged exclusive of glass513

Several hundreds of shops and houses in all parts of the Borough had windows blown out or broken. Among the premises mentioned above are Preston Hospital and the Public Assistance Institution, which received a direct hit on the South West part of the building demolishing the X-Ray building and killing three members of the staff and one patient, as a result of which many of the inmates were evacuated from the Hospital to the Linskill Senior School, and have since been evacuated to other areas. First Aid Headquarters was severely damaged and put out of action as a result of an HE falling in close proximity. Two persons were killed at this incident. The Royal National Lifeboat Station was completely destroyed. An Anderson shelter received a direct hit, and four persons inside were killed. A schedule of major incidents is attached hereto.

FIRES.. IB caused numerous small fires in the timber storage yards. These developed into five major fires and later into a conflagration, which extended for about one mile along the river front to the west of the main part of the town. Every effort was made to extinguish the conflagration before dark on the 10th instant, and the situation was well in hand but at about 10.00 a breeze sprang up and increased the danger. At 10.30 Mr C. Thomas, the Regional Fire Inspector, arrived and took charge of this incident. He called for assistance and aiding parties, consisting of two units (each) arrived from Newburn, Gosforth and Blyth. Military Assistance was also obtained and the soldiers were employed removing timber from the danger area. By 14.00 the fire was under control and extinguished at 18.00.

At about the same time as the timber yards were becoming a serious matter, three large fires developed very rapidly in the centre of the town, involving three large shops within a space of 80 yards. The water supply was insufficient because of the nearness of the buildings, and it was obvious that extra pumping appliances for relaying water would have to be obtained. At 03.23 I requested Whitley Bay Control to send all available fire appliances to assist in fighting fires which had developed, they replied that nine units would be immediately despatched. These arrived quickly, and the fires referred to above were soon under control. The fire float was also brought into operation for these incidents to pump water from the river. They were extinguished at 07.00 when the Whitley Bay aiding party was released.

In addition several hundreds of small fires were started in all parts of the town, and these were speedily dealt with by the Fire Service, Police, Wardens and Civilians who tackled bombs as they fell, saving, without doubt, hundreds of properties. Over 100 calls were received at the Fire Station and it is estimated that at least 400 minor fires were dealt with. The Mobile Water Carriers recently acquired by the Fire Authority proved invaluable during the course of the raid in dealing with fires where the water was off or the supply insufficient. The fact that only one pump failed is indicative of the manner in which the appliances stood up to the test. In all, forty-three appliances were used from this Brigade, and fifteen aiding Units were employed in dealing with fires. At 03.00 the position regarding the fires was giving cause for anxiety, by 04.00 the position had eased, at all other times the situation was well in hand.

COMMUNICATIONS.. At 01.30 practically all police box telephones were out of order, and many of the exchange lines from Fire Stations, Wardens Posts and other Depots, were damaged, or inoperative, and the Messenger Services were brought into operation. I wish to specially mention the Messenger Service for the excellent duties that they carried out during this period which enabled communications to be maintained between the Control Centre and the various Services. During the raid the emergency telephone exchange was put into operation which curtailed the telephone facilities available for all services. A permanent call to the Regional Office was arranged by the Post Office Engineer in order that direct communication could be made to that office as to the progress of the raid.

RESCUE SERVICES.. The Rescue and Demolition Service was called out to seven incidents, the Repair Service to two, and at one incident the Decontamination Squad performed rescue work. In addition, two Rescue Squads from Wallsend and one from Whitley Bay were sent for and despatched to incidents. The above services represented by fifteen parties, were tireless in their efforts and were able to rescue alive eleven persons trapped and recover fifteen bodies from debris. The last body was recovered at 23.00 on Saturday night.

At the Stanley Street West incident, a number of persons who were provided with Domestic Surface Shelters, took refuge in their houses, and a number of them would doubtless have been alive had they taken cover in these shelters. This was demonstrated by the shelters which were standing when the properties in the vicinity had been razed to the ground. One couple had taken refuge under a dining room table, on top of which a piano had been thrown, resulting in the collapse of the table. It was noticeable that the whole of the plaster in the ceilings and walls of the totally demolished houses was disintegrated to fine dust and some of the bodies taken out were actually buried in this powdered plaster. At the Institution two Surface Shelters, each for fifty persons, one of which was on the edge of the crater, suffered no damage and the occupants were unharmed. At Biddlestone Crescent, an Anderson Shelter received what must have been a direct hit, and the occupants were killed instantly, the adjoining home being completely destroyed, but an Anderson Shelter five yards away was undamaged and the occupants unhurt.

At Brandling Terrace there was considerable damage to business and residential property caused by an HE which fell in Tynemouth Road damaging all the services. At Maple Crescent a Corporation house was demolished by a direct hit and at The Quadrant an HE in the road damaged surrounding property. At 'Holmlands' another HE put the First Aid Post out of action and seriously damaged St Oswin's School. In Bedford Street and at Cartington Road, properties were demolished by HE bombs. Assistance in the clearance of debris from the highways was rendered by the Military and within a very short time vehicular traffic was resumed. Gangs are still engaged in the work and in salvaging furniture and food. A preliminary survey disclosed that approximately fifty properties were either completely destroyed or will have to be demolished; a further 100 are seriously damaged though probably not beyond repair, and about 500 have suffered slight damage, exclusive of glass breakage. Emergency 'First Aid' repairs were put in hand immediately and are nearing completion. Contact with the Ministry of Health has been made and their decision in the matter of further repair work is awaited.

FIRST AID.. This Service was fully extended, and I obtained assistance from Whitley Bay for this work. Unfortunately on the arrival of one vehicle of this service a bomb dropped on First Aid Headquarters at 'Holmlands' killing one female and one male personnel of the aiding detachment. This service functioned extremely satisfactorily despite several unanticipated difficulties which were:- extensive damage to the Casualty Service Control Office, to the 'Holmlands' First Aid Post and the loss of several vehicles resulting from varied degrees of damage sustained. At no time during the raid was any branch of the Service depleted to such an extent as to render it ineffective.

The total number of calls made on the service was:-

First Aid Parties22
Cars for sitting cases14

The number of casualties passing through First Aid Posts was as follows:-

Royal Naval Sick Bay5

The number of casualties admitted to hospital were:-

Preston Hospital41 of which 6 were dead
Tynemouth Infirmary21 of which 8 were dead

As a result of First Aid Headquarters and Holmlands First Aid Post being put out of action, on the following day arrangements were made for the use of Smith's Dock Institute as a Central First Aid Post, and was ready to be put into operation in a satisfactory manner on the following night.

DAMAGE TO ESSENTIAL SERVICES.. It is most fortunate that these services were damaged in very few instances, and no serious inconvenience was experienced. Although Gas, Water and Electric Mains were damaged at one incident, the services were quickly restored temporarily. The telephone cable was damaged at one incident which was responsible for failing the telephone communications.

MILITARY AID.. Military Aid was requested to assist at the timber yard fire, 100 troops were engaged in this work and their services were invaluable, saving large quantities of timber. A further 100 troops assisted in cordoning damaged areas and guarding damaged premises to prevent looting. All these troops were supplied by the MC Holding Battalion, stationed at Prudhoe Convalescent Homes, Whitley Bay. I also requested assistance from the Officer Commanding the Troop Stations locally, to assist in dealing with the clearing of debris from highways, and rescue work.

LOOTING.. Only one case of looting was reported. A Special Constable detained a boy of twelve years for stealing from a house damaged by war operations. This boy is to be summoned under the Defence Regulations.

AFTER CARE.. As a result of the raid many persons have been rendered homeless. The majority of these were admitted to Emergency Feeding Centres. "Youth Centre" Rest Centre was opened at 00.05 on Thursday, 10th April, 1941, and closed at 21.45 on Saturday, 12th April, 1941, the total number on the register being 224, which includes eight transferred from the Western Rest Centre on being closed. The "Western" Rest Centre opened at 03.00 on the 10th April, and closed at 19.55 on the 11th April, 1941, the total number on the register being sixty-three. The total dealt with at both centres being 279. In addition to these a good number of persons rendered homeless made their own arrangements for billeting.

POLICE AND SPECIAL CONSTABLES.. The members of the Police Force and Special Constabulary carried out their duties in an extremely efficient manner, assisting all services and taking control of incidents, and were largely responsible for maintaining the morale of the general public.

WARDENS SERVICE.. The Wardens Service rendered invaluable service during the whole of the raid by assisting the Police and Firemen in their duties, by rendering First Aid to casualties, and by rescuing persons from damaged buildings prior to the arrival of the Rescue Service.

INDUSTRIAL UNDERTAKINGS.. Messrs Smith's Dock Co Ltd. A number of IB fell on these premises which were effectively dealt with by their own ARP Services. Messrs Cookson's Lead& Antimony Co Ltd. A number of IB fell upon the premises of this firm which were effectively dealt with by their ARP Services. Gas Co three HE were dropped on the premises of the Gas Co., and about 200 IB. One HE caused damage to the railway lines leading from the main line into the Gas Co.'s premises. The IB were dealt with by their own services, some of which fell upon a Gas Holder burning holes in one of the Holders. Tyne Improvement Commission. fifteen HE in addition to IB which have already been reported, fell on the premises of the TIC Docks and Timber Yards. Buildings and houses were damaged by a fire, and the permanent way and lines were blocked and damaged in various parts of the Docks and Timber Yards. A considerable number of railway trucks were also damaged.

INFORMATION BUREAU.. An Information Bureau was opened immediately after the raid at the Town Clerk's Office, Tynemouth, which has been operating very effectively.

GENERAL.. There was a grand response from volunteers reporting for duty, and all Civil Defence personnel worked with a will, speed and efficiency which merited the confidence which has been placed in them. They carried out their duties under very trying conditions. It is very gratifying to report that the civilian population stood up to the conditions remarkably well, and at no time was there any suggestion of panic. The manner in which the IB were dealt with by the Services and general public is worthy of the highest praise. I wish to express my appreciation for the able and valuable assistance rendered to me by the Officials of all Services.


23.54 to 02.30.. IB. Timber Stacks, Sheds etc, in five separate places. Adjoining Dock Road, Occupation Road and Hayhole Road.

00.36.. HE. Shops and Houses. Bedford Street and West Percy Street. Gas and Electricity affected.

00.46.. HE. Hospital and PAC Institute. Preston Road. Four males killed. Water and Electricity affected.

00.53.. HE. Shops and Houses. Brandling Terrace. One male and three females killed. Telephone, Gas, Water and Electricity affected.

01.30.. HE. Houses. Stanley Street West. Five males and seven females killed. Gas and Electricity affected.

01.30.. Four HE. Lifeboat House and Motor Lifeboat (Military). Eastern Extension of Fish Quay. One male killed.

01.35.. HE. Houses. Maple Crescent.

01.35.. IB and HE. House, Police Box and Post. The Quadrant. Six males killed. Electricity affected.

01.35.. HE. Houses. Cartington Road. One male killed.

01.35.. HE. Houses and a direct hit on Anderson shelter. Biddlestone Crescent. One male and three females killed.

02.57.. HE. First Aid HQ, Military Road. A male and a female killed.

02.57.. IB. Ladies Outfitters Shop. Bedford Street.

03.00.. IB. Outfitters and Draper's Shop. Bedford Street.

03.00.. IB. Furniture Depository. Bedford Street.

03.01.. HE. Timber Yard. Dock Road. One male killed.

Fifteen other HE in Timber Yards and seven HE on outskirts of the Borough. Totals:- Twenty-one males and fourteen females killed.


Northumberland.. Tynemouth Borough.. Air Raid in Tynemouth - 9/lOth April, 1941 - Report to the Emergency Committee from the Town Clerk, dated 17th April, 1941.

GENERAL INFORMATION CENTRE.. Immediately after the "Raiders Passed signal sounded on the morning of the 10th April, 1941, the Town Clerks Office was opened as a General Information Centre, and information was supplied to all enquirers throughout the day until 19.30. Information relating to missing relatives, repairs to property, removal and salvage of furniture, funeral arrangements and general advice was available to persons needing assistance. The office remained open each day from 09.00 until 18.30 on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday following the raid.

On Thursday, the 10th April, approximately 400 enquires were dealt with, and the total number in connection with the raid during the period referred to amounted to approximately 850. Lists were prepared of persons requiring repairs to their property, and these were forwarded to the Borough Surveyor for his attention, Similar lists were prepared for cases requiring billeting or for furniture salvage or removal.

CASUALTY INFORMATION BUREAU.. The Casualty Information Bureau obtained the necessary particulars relating to injured and dead from hospitals and mortuaries, and lists were published outside the Town Clerk's Office and the Police Station. Relatives of dead persons were traced and notified by post or messenger.

MORTUARY.. Immediately after the raid, the Church Way Mortuary was opened, and nineteen bodies were received. All the bodies were identified, though in many cases considerable difficulty was experienced in finding relatives and in obtaining sufficient evidence to enable identification to be carried out. The utmost credit should be given to Mr Arthur Cragg, the Honorary Mortuary Superintendent, for his untiring work in a difficult and distressing task. Arrangements were made for the funerals of the victims to be carried out by the Corporation where the relatives were unable or unwilling to do so. The total number buried by the Corporation was twenty-three. This number was drawn, not merely from the Church Way Mortuary, but also from Preston Hospital and the Tynemouth Victoria Jubilee Infirmary.

SALVAGE OF FURNITURE.. The scheme for the removal and salvage of furniture from damaged property was put into operation the morning after the raid and has been carried on in a very efficient manner under the direction of the Honorary Salvage Officer, Mr J. Duffy. The total number of cases where property was removed amounted to fifty. Of this number, twenty-two were placed in storage by the Corporation. For this purpose, St. Andrews Hall, the basement of the Liberal Club, a portion of Bishopsgate House and certain empty rooms at Queen Victoria School were taken over.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Night 585. All times BST. Blackout begins: 20.27, ends: 05.47
Public Alert (Hull Warning Dist): 23.07, All Clear: 05.06
Public Alert (Newcastle Warning Dist): 20.52, All-Clear: 21.24
Public Alert (Newcastle Warning Dist): 23.25, All-Clear: 04.51
Industrial Alarm: 23.29, Release: 03.34
Industrial Alarm: 04.07, Release: 04.37

Previous Page Front Page Diary Index Next Page

Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright Brian Pears 1994-2011